(Do) Like and Would like


Like and Would like are two types of usage in English that show some similarity but more of a difference between them.

When ‘like’ is followed by a verb then it should be taken in the sense of ‘enjoy’ as in the sentences ‘I like singing’ and ‘I like playing cricket on the beach’.

‘Would like’ on the other hand is used in the sense of ‘want’ as in the sentences:

1. I would like to go to the beach if time permits.
                                                                                  
2. Would you like something to eat now?                       
              
In both the sentences given above ‘would like’ is used in the sense of ‘want’. You will also notice that ‘would like’ is generally followed by the infinitive ‘to’.

It is interesting to note that ‘like’ is also at times used to convey the sense of ‘want’ as in the sentences:

1. You may read the book when you like.

2. If you like to go now, you can.


In both the sentences given above, you can see that ‘like’ is used in a sense that conveys the idea of ‘want’.

When you talk about things which you wish you had done then you can use ‘would like’ as in the sentence ‘I would like to have visited the library at least once.’ In this sentence you wished you had visited the library at least once.

‘Like’ on the other hand is normally followed by the gerund ‘ing’ when it can suggest the sense of ‘enjoy’ as in the sentences:

1. I like writing poems.

2. She likes talking aloud.

In the first sentence you get the idea of ‘I enjoy writing poems’ and in the second sentence you get the idea of ‘She enjoys talking aloud’. ‘Like’ and ‘would like’ should be used with precision.


Some Examples from eslgold.com: 

Would like vs. (Do) like


What kind of food do you like?
(Facts, personal preferences)


I like ice cream, bananas, soda pop.

I like Chinese food.


What kind of food would you like?
(If you could choose)


I would like Italian food.

What kind of friend(s) do you like?

I like someone who is easygoing.

I like a person who has talent.

I like people who are kind.

What kind of person would you like to marry?

I would like someone who has a lot of money.

I like a man/woman/person who is friendly.


You may also like this video from engvid.com:



Some exercises on tolearnenglish.com: 


P.S. to my students: Check your results and report me.



0 yorum:

Yorum Gönder